The road less travelled is sometimes fraught with barricades, bumps and uncharted terrain. But it is on that road where your character is truly tested. And have the courage to accept that you’re not perfect. Nothing is and no one is - and that’s OK. (Katie Couric)

Thursday, April 23, 2015

There will be a few times in your life when all your instincts will tell you to do something, something that defies logic, upsets your plans, and may seem crazy to others. When that happens, you do it. Listen to your instincts and ignore everything else. Ignore logic, ignore the odds, ignore the complications, and just go for it. 
-  Judith McNaught b.1944

-o0o-

Democracy will not come
Today, this year
Nor ever
Through compromise and fear.

I have as much right
As the other fellow has
To stand
On my two feet
And own the land.

I tire so of hearing people say,
Let things take their course.
Tomorrow is another day.
I do not need my freedom when I'm dead.
I cannot live on tomorrow's bread.

Freedom
Is a strong seed
Planted
In a great need.

I live here, too.
I want freedom
Just as you.
- Langston Hughes 1902-67

-o0o-

The impetuous dashing of the rebounding torrent from the dark cavities which mocked the exploring eye, produced an equal activity in my mind: my thoughts darted from earth to heaven, and I asked myself why I was chained to life and its misery? Still the tumultuous emotions this sublime object excited, were pleasurable; and, viewing it, my soul rose, with renewed dignity, above its cares - grasping at immortality - it seemed as impossible to stop the current of my thoughts, as of the always varying, still the same, torrent before me - I stretched out my hand to eternity, bounding over the dark speck of life to come. - Mary Wollstonecraft  from "A Short Residence in Sweden, Norway and Denmark"

-o0o-

I never saw a moor,
I never saw the sea;
 Yet know I how the heather looks,
    And what a wave must be.
             I never spoke with God,         
   Nor visited in heaven;
   Yet certain am I of the spot
  As if the chart were given.
Emily Dickinson 1830-86

-o0o-


-o0o-

NEXT POST SATURDAY

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

No comments:

Post a Comment