The road less travelled is sometimes fraught with barricades, bumps and uncharted terrain. But it is on that road where your character is truly tested. And have the courage to accept that you’re not perfect. Nothing is and no one is - and that’s OK. (Katie Couric)

Saturday, October 13, 2012

pictures and poems and pearls of wisdom . . .




Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength. 
Loving someone deeply gives you courage - Lao-Tzu

-o0o-


-o0o-

Night is a dead monotonous period under a roof; but in the open world it passes lightly, with its stars and dews and perfumes, and the hours are marked by changes in the face of Nature. What seems a kind of temporal death to people choked between walls and curtains, is only a light and living slumber to the man who sleeps afield - Robert Louis Stevenson

-o0o-


-o0o-

In Extremis
 John Updike

I saw my toes the other day.
I hadn't looked at them for months.
Indeed, they might have passed away.
And yet they were my best friends once.
When I was small, I knew them well.
I counted on them up to ten
And put them in my mouth to tell
The larger from the lesser. Then
I loved them better than my ears,
My elbows, adenoids, and heart.
But with the swelling of the years
We drifted, toes and I, apart.
Now, gnarled and pale, each said, j'accuse!
I hid them quickly in my shoes.

-o0o-

Click the image to enlarge

"The Ferry Across the Angara in Irkutsk"
Nikolai Florianovich Dobrovolsky
-o0o-

NEXT POST WEDNESDAY

No comments:

Post a Comment